Children's Mental Health Ontario has a long history of promoting accreditation as an important and effective continuous improvement process. For many years, CMHO delivered its own accreditation program, which was available to its members. As of April 1, 2013 the delivery of accreditation to CMHO members transfered to the Canadian Centre for Accreditation (CCA). The CCA offers an independent third-party accreditation process and our members continue to participate in a high quality accreditation process.
History of Accreditation
CMHO's accreditation program was unique in Canada and received international interest and attention. It was based on Children's Mental Health Ontario’s long history of defining standards of quality children’s mental health services.
- 1983 - Goal to establish an accreditation program was set.
- 1984 - Ontario Trillium Foundation grant was received to develop the program.
- 1988 - Unanimous support expressed for the program’s creation; The First Accreditation Site Review took place.
- 1996 - A goal established for all CMHO members to become accredited.
- 1997 - Accreditation Standards were revised.
- 2000 - Specialized models were developed (for French language agencies and for agencies that offer both children's mental health and child protection services).
- 2002 - Essential standards were revised; A bylaw was passed requiring all CMHO members to become accredited.
- 2003 - CMHO, in partnership with the Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies, piloted an Integrated Accreditation Model.
- 2005 - 85% of CMHO member agencies had at least one Site Review.
- 2013 -Transfer of accreditation process from CMHO to CCA
Benefits of Accreditation
- sets standards of excellence in all areas of the organization.
- provides organizations with a template for high quality services, administration governance.
- stimulates continuous organizational education and improvement.
- provides public assurance of quality.
- enhances services to children and families.
Canadian Centre for Accreditation
Canadian Centre for Accreditation / Centre canadien de l'agrément
Suite 500A -970 Lawrence Ave. West
Toronto, ON M6A 3B6
Gail Vandermeulen is CCA's Accreditation Manager for child and youth mental health organizations. She can be reached at:
Tel./Tél.: 416-239-2448, ext./poste 223