If someone needs emergency assistance or is in danger, get help and call your local suicide hotline immediately. Please DO NOT CONTACT US.
Suicide warning signs differ from person to person, and not everyone will show these signs. While there is no singular reason for suicide, there are environmental and health issues that can create a feeling of hopelessness that can lead to such. It’s important to be aware of these signs and factors.
The following are possible signs of suicidal ideation:
- Talking or joking about killing themselves
- Saying that they have no reason to live and that they’re only a burden to others
- Self-destructive and out of character behavior
- Loss of interest in something they’re passionate about
- Increased substance abuse
- Isolation from friends or family
- Looking for ways to end their lives
There are also risk factors that increase the possibility of suicide:
- An existing mental illness, especially when undiagnosed
- A serious and painful health condition
- A stressful environment; being bullied, harassed, neglected, or abused
Any child showing warning signs of suicidal ideation should always be taken seriously. If you know anyone with an undiagnosed mental illness, ask them to seek professional help and make sure to be there to support them.